Give hope. Give health. Make your mark in the fight against cancer.
At Accuray, we make a direct and powerful impact on the lives of cancer patients every day - helping them live longer, better lives. But our commitment to innovation offers a truly unique opportunity: the chance to change the fight against cancer - helping to develop, introduce and support new treatment delivery systems and software that will give new hope and new health to cancer patients and cancer survivors around the world.
Accuray develops, manufactures and sells radiotherapy systems for alternative cancer treatments. Our radiation therapy for cancer makestreatment shorter, safer, personalized and more effective, ultimately enabling patients to live longer, better lives.
The Sr. Director of Program Management leads the Program/Project Management Organization, which develops the product roadmap and drives product development and sustaining projects involving a high degree of cross-functional coordination. The director manages a staff of project managers who plan, execute and control new product and/or life-cycle value releases across stakeholder organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to development of product strategy, product and business plans, and marketing requirements.
- Recommends, develops and maintains portfolio spend characterization across Technology Development, Platform and New Product Development and Life-Cycle Improvement.
- Drives product development across different Accuray functions, and with external organizations, ensuring execution of cost, quality and schedule.
- Develops and controls the product roadmap to satisfy the business strategies; manages change management as required.
- Drives product development projects involving a high degree of cross-functional coordination and hands-on problem solving.
- Drives project master planning including work breakdown structure design, estimation, scheduling, "what-if" analysis, and re-planning as required.
- Monitors progress of development projects, using existing program monitoring and control mechanisms, and bottleneck management techniques to keep projects on track
- Identifies risks and vulnerabilities; create contingency plans; monitor risk levels and drives execution of contingency plans as appropriate.
- Interfaces with cross-functional representatives to ensure robust requirements management and functional control activities are completed in step with overall project needs.
- Oversees and coordinates people and operational resources required to deliver the programs in line with plan/ project commitments.
- Plans, coordinates and monitors proper allocation of cross-functional product development resources to deliver within project parameters.
- Understands, monitors and directs the cross-functional activities and product development deliverables. Recognize and correct deficiencies and weaknesses within the program.
- Develops and monitors project budget (in collaboration with Finance).
- Demonstrates proficiency with preferred tools, techniques and methods for project and portfolio management, document control, and resource modeling.
- Develops and delivers stakeholder communications.
- Owns and continuously improves the Product Develop Process including Product Development Team construct and responsibilities.
- Develops and executes communication mechanisms to ensure efficient and effective communication with key stakeholders, including, but not limited to formal reporting requirements, maintaining open communication among project participants and interested parties.
- Responsible for the Product Development Process(es) and performance metrics to recommend and drive change for continuous improvement consistent with company policies and objectives.
- Designs, conducts and continuously improves Program/Project monitor and control mechanisms (i.e. Program Review, ad-hoc project reviews) with the project team, stakeholders and clients.
- Serves as subject matter expert (SME) for the project files and all of its contents for regulatory audits and notified bodies and understands regulatory requirements and practices
Team Leadership and Development
- Communicates key information to staff from business updates on timely basis.
- Builds capacity across the team by identifying skill gaps, making and executing plans to address them.
- Manages teams' performance, including through annual and mid-term performance reviews, sharing observations and suggestions for greater effectiveness on individual and team basis throughout the year.
- Rewards and recognizes performance on individual and team basis, utilizing Accuray programs and those of the department.
- Coaches, mentors and develops managers to enhance their professional growth, identifying stretch opportunities, providing feedback on individual strengths and developmental needs, and surfacing interests through regular one-on-one discussion.
- Creates internal succession plan and advances it to ensure development and exposure of identified potential successors to experiences necessary.
- Identifies needs for process improvement and development in the organizations space and drives necessary changes, ensuring their completion and/or revision.
- Bachelor or equivalent work experience, preferably in a technical, marketing or business discipline.
- Master's degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in leading project, program and/or engineering functional teams.
- Minimum of 10 years in product development with proven interaction skills with individual contributors and management across engineering, manufacturing, marketing, regulatory and quality functions.
- Experience managing projects across different time zones or countries.
- Experience in managing third party development collaborations or partnerships is strongly desirable.
- Ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels across all levels of a matrixed organization to deliver results.
- Ability to work on multiple, concurrent problems projects of diverse scope with diverse project teams of varying sizes.
- Ability to develop and deliver clear, crisp communications (written and verbal) that are customized to the needs of different audiences, ensuring timely and relevant communication.
- Ability to see the big picture and ability to synthesize, analyze, and draw insights from large data sets to inform the best path forward.
- Functions independently with little instruction on day-to-day work and general instructions on new assignments.
- Some travel, domestic or international, may be required.
Preferred or Desired
- PMP Certification and/or advanced degree.
- Industry experience and knowledge of medical device and regulatory standards.
To qualify for this position, candidates must be able to furnish proof that they are authorized to work in the country they are applying on a permanent basis without sponsorship.
At Accuray, our commitment to patient-first outcomes drives an inclusive and collaborative work environment where the best ideas rise to the top - and everyone works to push them further. We value diversity in both the professional and personal backgrounds of our employees, as this variety adds rich energy to every team, every project and every work day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin - including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.