APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
Assist the Sports Medicine Staff in day-to-day operations, including but not limited to Athletic Care and Coverage, Medical Clearances and Administrative Duties.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Certification through the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification.
- First Aid/CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Certification OR Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers Certification by the American Red Cross OR American Heart Association
- Graduated from a CAATE Approved Athletic Training Program
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
Athletic Care and Coverage
- Participate in an athletic training program that meets the health care needs of all student- athletes including the prevention, assessment, care, management, rehabilitation, healthcare administration, and education and guidance of the injuries sustained in Azusa Pacific University (APU) intercollegiate athletics.
- Responsible for the coverage of specific athletic teams. Communicate with coaches regarding practice and game coverage.
- Travel with above-mentioned teams whenever coverage on campus permits.
- Responsible for the coverage of open rehabilitation times in the morning and afternoon as determined by the Head Athletic Trainer.
Determining Medical Clearance
- Participate in team physicals in consultation with the APU Health Center and Team Physicians. Duties include performing orthopedic exams, seeking physician referrals for athletes with significant pre-existing injuries, and notifying coaches of student- athlete clearance or non-clearance of physical exam.
- Assist student-athletes with health care needs and concerns and make appropriate referrals as needed. Stay in communication with attending physicians regarding prognosis and orders for injured student- athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in scheduling physician appointments per individual insurance requirements and schedule free consultations with team physicians as needed.
- Communicate with coaches regarding the health status of the student-athletes.
- Evaluate the readiness of student-athletes to return to physical activity in coordination with physician and other health care professionals when necessary.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the athletic training staff to coordinate coverage and other pertinent information.
- Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in writing an annual athletic training report.
- Meet with each team as assigned regarding athletic insurance policies, ATR rules and procedures, collection of emergency and physical information, and answer question regarding health care at APU.
- Take part in a confidential system that maintains medical records and accurate injury/illness reports of all injuries. Maintain an individual chart of records for each student athlete. Such charts will include physical paperwork, insurance and emergency contact information, injury reports, treatment records, physician reports and clearances. This also includes the use of injury tracking software for the purpose of injury recording, maintaining progress notes, coaches reports, compiling statistics and producing year end reports.
- Coordinate coverage for home events and tournaments of assigned sports including Certified Athletic Trainers, student athletic trainers and physicians and EMS when necessary.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to an evangelical Christian philosophy and lifestyle
- Demonstrated knowledge of current thinking in the five (5) domains of Athletic Training
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and minister to student-athletes
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds, and be able to manually assist ambulation of injured athletes.
- Must be able to perform the manual tasks associated with manual therapy for both evaluation and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) Athletic Training Software (ATS).
Grade 2: $12.10 - $15.73
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here:
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates, including a DMV check.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa, California, United States