Under general direction, the Medical Physicist provides clinical physics services for the safe, accurate, efficient and optimal delivery of radiation therapy treatments in accordance with the radiation oncology department technical policies and procedures.
* Performs initial checks on each patient's dosimetry plan, calculations, and charting Performs IMRT patient plan validation, as necessary .
* Performs weekly chart checks for accuracy and consistency with prescription. Participates in weekly chart rounds, when requested.
* Performs calibration and quality control testing of radiation producing devices at required frequencies. Maintains calibration and quality control records. Maintains calibration of measuring equipment.
* Accepts and commissions new or upgraded equipment and software as needed.
* Provides technical oversight to the daily treatment activities with respect to physical parameters; is able to troubleshoot problem patient set-ups.
* Collects and processes beam data, organizes and presents radiation beam characteristics of the treatment machines, both in electronic and paper format. Performs and maintains checks of beam data on a routine basis and after software upgrades. Maintains CT dosimetric data.
* Helps establish planning protocols and templates.
* Assists dosimetrists in routine and difficult planning cases, working with staff and physicians when necessary.
* Helps with system administrator duties for the treatment planning and information management systems.
* Writes reports in information management system,as requested.
* Works with IT and vendors to troubleshoot software and connectivity issues
* Provides staff education on new treatment protocols, assists in writing new policies and procedures.
* Participates with the technical team in the planning and evaluation of new, more efficient and beneficial patient techniques. Ensures timely completion of any accepted assignments to realize these plans.
Growth and Development
* Identifies limitations in own performance and uses appropriate resources to meet these needs. Develops improvement plan as appropriate. Attends staff meetings and meets education requirements.
Education/Licensure and Certifications
American Board of Medical Physicists - ABMP, required.
American Board of Radiology - ABR, required.
Skills and Knowledge
Additional Requirements for Sutter Solano Medical Center:
* Provides technical oversight/input to the daily activities of radiation therapy technologists and Dosimetrist. Demonstrates flexibility and creativity in proposing solutions to technical and operational problems (can troubleshoot difficult patient set-ups, computer or software glitches and minor accelerator or interruptions).
* Participates in new therapist/ Dosimetrist orientation to provide continuity of treatment and planning techniques.
* Proficiency in treatment planning as well as supervision of the medical dosimetry and treatment planning