APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
The Database Systems Engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, upgrading, managing, and maintaining APU's database systems and connected enterprise applications. You will provide technical leadership which guides and implements APU's continually improving use of database technologies and disciplines, which include: database administration, database design, standards and procedures, and database development for an environment that optimizes systems reliability and performance for all the University's customers. You will manage and deliver database design, performance tuning and hands on administration of server databases.
You provide technical leadership as a member of IMT Enterprise Applications, a collaborative devops team focused on continuous improvement and business value management of core enterprise systems. Sharing knowledge and developing other IT professionals, you will seek customer and partner feedback in establishing strategically-aligned processes by which system improvement, security, integrity and stability are championed. In this Agile environment you will regularly collaborate with the product owner on product requirements and improvements. You will partner with product and service teams across IMT to improve and support the enterprise software platform, and deploy customizations and integrations created by developers.
- A Bachelor degree in computer science or a related computer discipline, or equivalent experience, is required.
- 5-7 years of systems administration with demonstrated proficiency in upgrading and supporting applications and middleware on Linux and Windows platforms in an enterprise deployment.
- Growth in full stack engineering knowledge to continuously improve processes and technical capabilities of self and a devops product team in software configuration, performance tuning, and troubleshooting.
- 3 years implementing major system upgrades and enhancements, including new versions of complex applications, with regular new feature releases to customer groups.
- Strong teamwork and facilitating skills: Continually develop self and team members to create and maintain a high-performance, fast-growth culture.
- Able to prioritize according to team goals and sustain focused and frequent delivery.
- Preferred: 3-5 years experience in administration of PeopleSoft 9.2 applications such as Campus Solutions, Financial Management, or Human Resources
- Preferred: Experience in Oracle database administration, management, backup, and high availability using Oracle DataGuard.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Prototype, research and install major system upgrades in a mixed cloud and on-premise environment (AWS and VMware hosted virtual servers).
- Maintains existing application, web, process scheduler and database components of mission critical enterprise applications.
- Builds and configures new software environments (web server, process scheduler server, app server, databases, etc.) using Oracle PeopleSoft tools, supported by APU compute and networking teams.
- Provide technical expertise necessary to ensure that the PeopleSoft and Database environments are operating at their optimal performance, and implements backup and recovery plan.
- Develops and applies advanced methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of highly complex system requirements and problems.
- Documents steps taken, readily shares knowledge with others, and uses agile work management tools.
- Applies software patches and product image updates regularly in order to keep current with Oracle releases, which requires flexibility for occasional planned work outside of APU business hours.
- Monitor components such as WebLogic server, Tuxedo application server, Process Schedulers, and Oracle databases.
- PeopleSoft system upgrades, patching and installation.
- Peoplesoft Deployment Package (DPK)
- Peoplesoft Update Manager (PUM) and PeopleSoft Images (PIs)
- Oracle 11g, 12c or higher database administration and optimization.
- Familiar with container and cloud-native orchestration technology such as Docker and Kubernetes (we run RedHat OpenShift), as well as software repositories (Git), and centralized logging and monitoring.
- Familiar with scripted server deployment techniques and configuration tools such as Ansible or Puppet
- Backup and recovery, high availability, and scalable web services.
- Job/task scheduling & scripting to automate provisioning for prototyping new modules and/or features.
- Assist in administering, auditing and improving PeopleSoft Security.
- Fully configuring PeopleSoft environments with little or no supervision.
IMT Profile and Mental Demands
- In order to function effectively, this person must have a high level of independence, show a high level of initiative, have the ability to make decisions, and be highly motivated. This must be done in a consistent with the team management structure and culture that is employed by IMT.
- This person will be required to work closely with other IMT staff and management to assist them in meeting quarterly strategic objectives
- This person must possess excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex technical details in a clear and concise manner to both technical and non-technical staff, and be able to liaise with IMT's customers, APU departments and external vendors at all levels
- Must have a service oriented mindset with the ability to organize, prioritize, and delegate tasks while transferring knowledge and expertise to empower clients and users
- To enable assigned IMT service to operate normally at all times, this person will periodically be required to be available by telephone for management, consultation, and liaison with support, development and technical staff after normal working hours and on weekends. In emergency situations, this may require considerable onsite presence.
- This person must be someone who is totally committed to excellence in service, and has a good understanding of APU's overall business, business structures, and business practices.
- Able to keep confidentiality with discretion and good judgement.
- This position requires acceptance of APU's Christian ethos and be able to align with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Intermittently sitting, standing and walking.
- Requires repetitive arm, hand, wrist and finger motion and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Meetings may require walking and/or driving to various University locations.
- Ability to pull, push, bend, grasp, reach and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to climb stairs multiple times in a work day.
- Computer monitor and reading, both often for extended periods of time.
- Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google G Suite, Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
- Software for agile team-work, monitoring, product management, etc. (e.g. JIRA)
- ChatOps for collaboration and automation (e.g. Slack)
- Support ticketing systems (e.g. Zendesk)
- Code repositories (e.g. Git)
- Other technologies described above
- Grade 16: $40.96 - $53.25
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here:
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa, California, United States