The University of Southern California (USC) Finance Division - Student Account Services is seeking a strategic-minded and experienced Agency Billing Coordinator to join its team.
The department of Student Account Services is responsible for the collection of student payments as they relate to tuition and fees assessed to the student fee bill. Our office assists students and parents with understanding their student fee accounts, assists with payments, billing inquiries, sponsor agency billing, and processes student refunds of financial aid overages.
The Agency Billing Coordinator will be responsible for applying in-depth knowledge of accounting principles to review, analyze, summarize and report financial information. Provides excellent customer to bother internal and external customers within the Student Account Services/Agency Billing Department. Interacts with students, parents, internal USC dept's and external domestic and foreign gov't agencies, companies, non-profit org's and several branches of the armed forces in the processing of billing statements, deferment authorizations and collection and application of payments.
- Manages the accounting records for an assigned major segment of the university's financial system. Monitors and reviews financial activity. Applies accepted accounting principles to design and produce regular reports and statements and analyze for accuracy, problems and trends and makes recommendations. Documents findings and recommendations for consideration by manager.
- Conducts internal reviews to ensure adherence to university policies and agency regulations. Examines and evaluates current methods and procedures for adequacy of controls. Recommends and assists in the implementation of improvements or changes.
- Develops or revises internal accounting systems. Designs formats to assist in reporting and analysis. Recommends and implements controls to ensure reliability of systems and integrity of data.
- Compiles and organizes data for use in budget forecasts and development. Produces regular operating statements. Evaluates actual performance to projections and develops conclusions and recommendations addressing variances. Advises and consults with management concerning the accounting and financial implications of existing and projected department activities.
- Advises on university financial policies and procedures, agency laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintains currency with laws and regulations governing accounting policies and procedures.
- May act as a lead to other accountants and/or student workers with work assignments, problem resolution and/or with special projects. Provides leadership and guidance to accountants and/or student workers with work assignments and/or special assignments or short-term projects as needed. Assists in training or scheduling work assignments as required.
- Processes deferments and tuition vouchers for sponsored agency students. Coordinates the delivery of services through several academic and administrative departments. Provides backup support for cashier office building inquiries and phone support.
- Receives and post payments for services, verifies dollar amounts, issues refund's as required, in accordance with department's policies and procedures. Provides customer service to internal and external customers via in-person, telephone or email.
- Provides support and customer service inquiries regarding 1098-T statements and working with 3rd party vendors for the generation and support of the 1098-T process. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested to support operations or special projects assigned.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Master's degree
- 5 years' experience
- Progressively responsible experience as an accountant with knowledge of University financial systems and knowledge of computers and financial applications
The USC Finance Division - Student Account Services values accountability, teamwork, open communication, integrity, and opportunities for growth and professional development. Join us - apply today!
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degreeMinimum Experience: 3 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise: Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles including fund accounting
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.