Give hope. Give health. Make your mark in the fight against cancer.
At Accuray, we make a direct and powerful impact on the lives of cancer patients every day - helping them live longer, better lives. But our commitment to innovation offers a truly unique opportunity: the chance to change the fight against cancer - helping to develop, introduce and support new treatment delivery systems and software that will give new hope and new health to cancer patients and cancer survivors around the world.
Accuray develops, manufactures and sells radiotherapy systems for alternative cancer treatments. Our radiation therapy for cancer makestreatment shorter, safer, personalized and more effective, ultimately enabling patients to live longer, better lives.
Software Systems Engineers, Cybersecurity, analyze, design, and develop major software elements of medical device systems or solutions with a particular focus on Cybersecurity. This role ensures the integration of software, hardware, reliability, regulatory compliance, safety, and cybersecurity requirements. They are responsible for defining and communicating a shared technical and architectural vision to help ensure the system or solution under development is fit for its intended purpose. Software Systems Engineers serve as contributing members of the Systems Engineering group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand the point of view of the user (including End User, Marketing, Service, Regulatory, Quality Control, Manufacturing, Service, etc.) and ensure that they are properly regarded throughout the program.
- Collaborate with development engineers, subsystem owners, Marketing, Medical Physics, and Clinical Applications in planning, definition, and high-level design of the solution and exploration of solution alternatives with a specific focus on cybersecurity.
- Develop a body of knowledge regarding cybersecurity vulnerabilities, related protections, threat and risk assessment methodologies, and related external standards.
- Understand and interpret the various applicable regulatory requirements and guidance (e.g., from the FDA) related to radiation treatment delivery and planning solutions and medical device cybersecurity.
- Develop functional architectures that identify system functions and their interactions.
- Identify, analyze, and document user and system requirements and allocate requirements to lower-level elements.
- Drive cybersecurity risk assessment in the context of new development and participate in post-release cybersecurity risk assessment.
- Participate in safety hazard identification and assessment, along with the development of related risk controls.
- Collaborate with the development team to develop system test strategies and methods to support Verification & Validation (V&V).
- Facilitate resolution of critical system level issues.
- Collaborate with the development team to define and analyze interfaces between system elements (both internal & external environments).
- Lead system or solution integration.
- Support project planning, scheduling, cost estimating, etc., and enable the Continuous Delivery Pipeline through appropriate design guidelines and investment advocacy.
- Infrequently, travel may be required, including technical visits to key vendors or support visits to customer sites
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and at least 3 years of software design and development in a regulated industry.
- Knowledge of systems and software engineering processes for the development of complex solutions including System and Software Architecture, System Analysis, Requirements Development and Management, and System Integration and Test.
- Strong foundation in cybersecurity issues and vulnerabilities, and related design practices and mitigations.
- Solid understanding of object-oriented analysis and design, proper use of design patterns, and avoidance of anti-patterns.
- A customer-centric mindset and Design Thinking that places the needs of the users first and foremost when making system design choices and provides a common set of tools and practices to enable collaboration with product and solution management in ensuring that proposed solutions meet user, customer, and market needs.
- Decentralized decision-making where technical details are left to evolve over time based on learning, with decisions finalized later in the lifecycle following a Set-Based Design approach, and where teams are trusted to make the local design decisions that adapt to changing needs.
- Demonstrated ability to embrace a leadership role operating more through influence than authority, and provide teaching, and mentoring, to improve team effectiveness.
- Working level knowledge of system and interface specifications.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred or Desired
- CISSP certification or other Cybersecurity related certification or qualifications.
- Experience in medical device software development or in a similarly regulated industry.
- Experience with product safety and/or cybersecurity risk assessment and FMEA analysis.
- Experience in Agile development teams.
- Familiarity with requirements management and SDLC tools such as DOORS, Jira, etc.
- Experience with client/server architectures.
- Multi-language programming experience, particularly using Java, Java Script, C#, C++, React, Angular, Matlab, or Python.
- Familiarity with any of the following technologies: Qt, CUDA, DICOM.
- An advanced technical degree. Suitable work experience in a technically related field may be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Strong mathematics and/or physics background.
To qualify for this position, candidates must be able to furnish proof that they are authorized to work in the country they are applying on a permanent basis without sponsorship.
At Accuray, our commitment to patient-first outcomes drives an inclusive and collaborative work environment where the best ideas rise to the top - and everyone works to push them further. We value diversity in both the professional and personal backgrounds of our employees, as this variety adds rich energy to every team, every project and every work day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin - including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.