Brown and Caldwell has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Hydrogeologist to join our Mining Market Sector Team. The primary focus of this position is to take a lead technical role in support of mine permitting, mine operations, mine reclamation, and mine closure projects. As a trusted client advisor, the successful candidate will work with the client to develop successful and creative approaches to meet their project and business objectives with a focus on the hydrogeologic aspects of the projects. Projects could include site and basin-scale reclamation/remediation; groundwater recharge, storage, and recovery; source water and aquifer hydrologic characterization; water resource management and planning; and cap/cover design. The successful candidate will provide mentorship, support, and guidance to the existing hydrogeologic team and collaborate with our nationally recognized, senior technical staff working on a variety of environmental projects located throughout the United States.
- Enhance and/or develop trusted partner client relationships, guiding the clients with strategic approaches to accomplish their overall business and technical goals.
- Partner with a highly motivated and skilled team that is focused on delivering the best work products for our clients while also having fun doing so.
- Collaborate within a nationwide enterprise of staff resources to complete our client's work throughout the United States.
- Provide technical support and/or expertise for geologic and hydrogeologic characterization, hydrogeologic investigations, hydrogeologic testing, analytical and numerical flow modeling, groundwater recharge, storage, and recovery.
- Participate in the development of business opportunities with new and existing mining sector clients to help grow the overall mining sector client portfolio and revenue.
- Oversee, manage, and/or deliver projects including leading regulatory agency interaction and communications.
- Serve as a technical leader within the BC Groundwater and Hydrogeology practice.
- Work closely with senior technical staff and client service managers to provide groundwater and hydrogeologic technical expertise in support of mining, water resources, and environmental site remediation projects.
- Perform technical report writing and presentations to clients, regulators, and other stakeholders.
- Execute technically diverse projects for private sector clients in a manner that exceeds client expectations in terms of delivering high quality work products, meeting project deadlines, and performing the work at or under budget.
- Work independently and with multi-disciplined teams to meet project objectives.
- Plan, direct, and oversee complex fieldwork, including groundwater and geochemical characterizations.
- Stay abreast of local and national regulations as well as technical developments within the mining sector.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Hydrogeology or related field is required; Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience, preferably in a consulting practice.
- Formal training in quantitative hydrogeology and numerical modeling is preferred.
- Professional registration (i.e., PG or PE) or the ability to obtain a registration.
- Experience leading groundwater and hydrogeology projects that may include, but are not limited to, legacy mine remediation and mine permitting, regional water resources evaluations, and site contaminant fate and transport studies.
- Strong quantitative and computer skills, including a familiarity with hydrogeologic analysis and related software such as the various current versions of MODFLOW, MODFLOW-based pre-/post-processing software (i.e., Groundwater Vistas) is preferred.
- Experience with aquifer test analysis software (e.g., AQTESOLV, AquiferWin32) is preferred.
- Experience interacting with clients and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively in a virtual environment with other BC offices and staff.
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER certification and MSHA Part 48 training are preferred.
- Highly organized, reliable, and able to work well with others.
- Strong project management, organizational, and technical skills required.
- Strong verbal and written (technical writing) and presentation communication skills required.
- Highly responsive, capable of working in a diverse team environment, and handling multiple tasks with competing priorities.
- Must have a proven record of working with existing clients and delivering projects successfully, profitably, and to the client's satisfaction.
- Must be willing and able to travel, including periodic travel for multiple days.
- Possess a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Salary Range: The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $104,000 to $155,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.