The National Practice Leader (NPL) will set the vision and strategy for their practice while ensuring alignment with the company and business unit strategies. In this role, you will also be responsible for driving market growth, developing talent, and delivering high quality solutions to drive our technical differentiation from that of our competitors. You will partner with a National Technology/Innovation Leader (NTIL) to align R&D strategy and new solutions with a practice strategy to solve the most important client challenges. You will select and supervise a team of one to six National Specialty Leaders (NSL) that reflect key areas of BC capability and growth potential. You will engage the teams to partner nationally, regionally, and locally to advance the practice mission and responsibilities described below. You will report to one of two Technical Services Directors and be part of BC's Technical Services team.
These positions can be filled remotely, near any BC location.
Who you are:
- You are a leader who can connect with and bring out the best in everyone.
- You consistently demonstrate strong leadership, coaching and communication skills.
- You excel in strategy development, including project management, business analysis, problem solving, consensus building, and talent development.
- You are results-orientated, proactive, and interested in working with a diverse team.
- You can guide and rally your team, focusing on actions to achieve desired outcomes.
- You have the ability to engage. influence and execute across the business, regardless of your sphere of influence, to deliver solutions.
- You have strong ability to see trends and extract vision from what is otherwise obscure.
What you will do:
- Lead the practice by setting a vision and strategy in alignment with BU goals and our Company of Choice strategy. Communicate the practice vision and strategy with BUS and provide quarterly updates on practice milestones / success stories.
- Lead a cohesive practice leadership team, including NTILs and NSLs by tracking progress towards producing deliverables / products that advance the practice in alignment with overall strategy and report progress/performance to the Directors and BUMs.
- Drive practice-wide use of the Practice Portal (previously known as the CoP workspace) to ensure active communication and collaboration by maintaining oversight and guidance and showing up as an active participants.
- Support and leverage strategic BC innovations by forming a partnership with the NTILs to shape key markets for the practice and equip client services teams with new client solutions.
- Participate in quarterly reviews of business aspects of practice management, including OH budget and team performance.
Project Delivery Quality and Efficiency
- Assign practitioners to support national project delivery and resource sharing by serving as the main contact for area/regional practice leaders to match top technical talent with strategic projects- i.e.,getting the "right people" on the "right projects"
- Driveefficient, high-quality project executionthrough coordinating with NSLs and APLs/RPLs todevelopand consistently apply national technical standardsincludingprocess and designguidelines, best practices, tools,model work scopes, andgovernance.
Client Development and Sales
- Inform annual businessand strategicplanning within the business units, including joint goals for growth and/or strategic targets.
- Supportstrategic key pursuits and development of clients by partnering with APLs/RPLsto assign top practice talent to key client service teams.
- Informtechnicalstrategy on key pursuits with localCSMsand BU operational leadersby aligning differentiating technical solutions and efficiencies from the national practice with client critical success factors.
- Understand our competition in terms of strategic direction of their technical focus, staff, strengths and weaknesses. Equip business units with winning technical strategies.
Technical Knowledge and Standards
- Oversee implementation of Quality Fundamentals and Subject Matter Specialists (SMS) governance, in partnership with Specialty Leaders responsible for SMS badging and performance.
- Create a mentoring and staff development cultureto build subject matter expertsand oversee "badging"(SMS governance) led by Specialty Leaders and others.
- Support BU recruiting (identifying needs and best-fit candidates, informing decisions); communicate perceived gaps and needs with BU operational leads, and support hiring plans as part of business planning efforts.
- Lead implementation and adjudication of SMS governance, systems and plans for talent development within the practice.
- Lead enterprise recruitingforstaffing the practice.
- Work with BU operational leaders to identify performance objectives and assess effectiveness for Regional/Area Practice Leaders.
- Support internal / external recognition of technical experts and their accomplishments.
BC Brand and Industry Leadership
- Lead representation of the BC brand across the industry, including strategic messaging, thought-leadership through peer-reviewed and other publications, and team member visibility.
- Champion strategic national conferences, presentation strategies, and selection of technical attendees.
- Support local conferences, workshops, and other means of visibility in strategic geographies, in coordination with Area/Regional Practice Leaders, operations leaders, and CSTs.
- Stay current with technology and market trends, inform annual State of the Industry Report and inform strategic planning process.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering, Science, Geology or a related field is required.
- Professional registration is preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the environmental services or water utility and/or consulting industry is required.
- Proven experience managing successfully within a matrixed/enterprise business model.
- Excellent leadership, people management and organizational development skills, with a demonstrated ability to motivate in a team-oriented and collaborative work environment, and promote, foster, and build a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Experience managing at the senior leadership level (must have led and developed other leaders).
- Ability to demonstrate business acumen to guide decisions on assignment of personal and technical approaches to support business unit growth.
- Ability to demonstrate experience in guiding technical strategy for a large national portfolio of projects and alignment or key staff and technical differentiators to those projects to realize a substantial impact on the business.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally (verbal and written) for technical and non-technical audiences.
Salary Range: The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $134,000 - $200,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.