Brown and Caldwell has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Strategic Pursuit Manager in our growth-oriented engineering, environmental consulting, and construction firm. The Strategic Pursuit Manager supports all aspects of sales services, marketing strategy, external communications and brand enhancement, with emphasis on leading multiple simultaneous large/complex strategic pursuits from positioning through proposal/presentation across a broad geography.
- Leads effective use of all elements of Plan to Win (PTW) for multiple, simultaneous efforts (focus on Top Pursuits), across a broad geography, driving and developing competitive strategy and persuasive messaging.
- Applies familiarity with complex technical topics to help develop persuasive approaches to resonate with the specific client.
- Understands the competitive landscape and facilitates deep competitor analysis to tailor pursuit strategy and messaging.
- Helps understand and implement civic engagement strategies for top client and pursuit evolution.
- Frequently brings specific knowledge/expertise regarding target clients and their unique processes.
- Supports/drives Area-level, Regional-level and in some instances Company-level initiatives designed to advance the BC sales program working with the Area Marketing Manager or Regional Marketing Director.
- Develops compelling, customized BC qualifications (resumes, project descriptions, experience tables) and "breaks them down" to the Pipeline, WorkSmart Marketing tab, and Company store for future use.
- Contributes to/provides training on best practices and best products at regional and company levels. (e.g. presents at Sales Services Monthly Webinars).
- Uses best practices and knowledge to improve products and processes.
- Acts as a resource for other sales teams and marketers by providing insight from past pursuit management experience.
- Mentors marketers and technical staff in the development of storyboarding, persuasive messaging, and graphic development in proposals and presentations.
- Provides support at a local Area and Regional level with high level strategy on top clients including supporting client account analysis and development of client service teams initiatives in support of annual goals
- Team leadership and management - facilitates the movement of large, complex teams to achieve common goals.
- Anticipates needs - looks beyond immediate problem to the wider implications.
- Generates new and innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Provides a high level of dedicated marketing leadership for top pursuits.
- Leads multiple simultaneous large/complex strategic pursuits from positioning through proposal/presentation for an Area/Market Sector or Region.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 6+ years of experience as Senior Business Development/Marketing Manager
- Experience within water environmental engineering other highly technical consulting field preferred
- Must have the willingness and ability to travel (10% - 30% of time)
- A successful and proactive proposal / interview leader - experience overseeing, coordinating, as well as experience performing all aspects of production including strategy and messaging, managing resources and processes, graphics, production, and technical teams
- Ability to conceptualize and write narratives as well as direct graphic designers for proposals, presentations, and marketing literature
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with emphasis on superior persuasive writing/editing, presentation and interview coaching
- A proven team leader with the ability to maximize talents of group members
- Bachelor's degree in related field or demonstrated equivalent
- Experienced in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign a plus
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.