Brown and Caldwell is looking for a Health and Safety Professional to join our corporate Health & Safety team. Reporting to the Municipal (Muni) H&S Manager, the H&S Partner will partner with the Muni H&S Manager and other team members to provide top notch internal client support and subcontractor management. The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be a highly organized and responsive individual, capable of working in a diverse team environment and handling multiple tasks with competing priorities. This position can be located near an established Brown and Caldwell office location with preference in Phoenix, AZ.
- Support client service teams in understanding client H&S expectations. This includes support in maintaining BC contractor prequalification status in vendor systems (i.e. Avetta, ISNetworld, and BROWZ) for respective clients.
- Serve as H&S lead on low-risk, programmatic projects within the Municipal (Muni) on behalf of the program Safety Manager.
- Support the Muni Safety Manager with facilitating the H&S Program within Muni through the following activities:
- Engagement/support with medium to high-risk project H&S Plan development and/or reviews.
- Conducting in-field project kickoffs and/or audits on behalf of the program.
- Potentially serving in the field as full-time H&S management/oversight for extended periods of time (few weeks to months) with periodic return travel.
- Facilitate meetings, as needed, on behalf of the Safety Manager with various members of the Muni Leadership Team.
- Participate as a member of the H&S Program in select Communities of Practice (CoPs) and/or Workgroups.
- Support the Muni Safety Manager with Performance Indicator (PI) tracking and related reporting.
- Develop and/or support development of new H&S Muni Program initiatives, safety minutes and/or presentations, as needed.
- Perform H&S prequalification of subcontractors utilizing internal and external management systems.
- This position will also work closely with other program Safety Managers and specialized Safety Partners to support internal tasks related to the continued growth and improvement of the overall company H&S program. These responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining internal H&S Policies.
- Developing and/or supporting roll-out of new initiatives.
- Conducting refresher H&S Training, such as Hazwoper or Field Work Safety Awareness (FWSA) virtually or at various BC offices.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree in Health and Safety (Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, etc.) required; Master's preferred
- 2+ years of professional experience preferred; coursework or relevant internship experience accepted in lieu of professional work experience
- Foundational knowledge of health, safety and/or chemical hygiene principles
- Candidate should either have a GSP or be willing/able to obtain an ASP, OHST, CHST or other professional certification
- Good technical skills with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts both visually and contextually are essential
- Strong verbal/written communication skills and ability to work well independently and in team environments
- Must be positive, flexible, reliable, responsive, self-motivated, able to multi-task and work both independently and in a team environment, and under deadline pressures
- Advanced skills in MS Office products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook; proficiency with Internet applications
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required
- Must be willing to work in the field year-round, potentially for extended periods of time, and able to perform physically demanding work (see requirements below):
- Ability to work for short periods of time in extreme temperatures including heat and cold.
- Ability to wear required safety equipment at sites including hard hats, steel toed boots (or other approved toe protection), safety glasses, etc.
- Ability to stand for several hours observing and documenting field conditions or critical construction operations
- Ability to walk slowly around sites of varying size that may have areas of uneven, muddy, and/or rocky ground to perform inspections and take photographs
- Ability to lift objects 30 pounds
- Ability to remain alert and vigilant while working around construction equipment and be able to walk swiftly for a short distance to clear an area where a potential hazard is identified
- Ability to climb stairs (2-3 flights) or ladders (up to 24 foot typically) to access structures for visual inspection
- Candidate must be willing and able to travel up to 40% of the time
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.