Job Posting End Date: 6/16/2022
Security Clearance: No Clearance
Who We Are
General Dynamics NASSCO is one of three shipyards in the Marine Systems group of General Dynamics Corporation (NYSE: GD). General Dynamics NASSCO traces its beginnings to the industrial heart of SanDiego, along the working waterfront of beautiful and historic SanDiego Bay. The company has been designing and building ships in SanDiego's industrial corridor since 1960 and is the largest full service shipyard on the West Coast of the United States.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND PURPOSE
Develop detailed labor and material estimates for shipboard/shop work and repairs to be accomplished on Government and Commercial vessels using drawings and specifications and on-site shipchecks for interference and access problems. Solicit and evaluate subcontractor price quotations.
- POSITION DEMANDS
- High school graduate. Related college course work is desirable.
- Knowledge of shipboard nomenclature. Experience and knowledge of shipboard systems, equipment, spaces, configuration, as well as labor and material costs necessary to perform repairs, upgrades, alterations and maintenance to same.
- Make decision concerning interpretation of work item specifications. Write inquiries to customers, as required, for clarification of requirements.
- Track on-going work and repairs for feedback of material and man-hour estimating effort using all cost reports and purchase order data available, plus on-site observations and direct interface with key production personnel. Able to retrieve data from all forms of LMS and from archives.
- Use computer to store and retrieve information to aid in preparing labor and material cost estimates. Able to access the system and work with various programs in order to assist with development of the estimate into a proper bid format.
- Must be able to climb vertical ladders to perform ship inspections. Physical dexterity must allow for bending and reaching. Must be able to handle stressful situations. Must be physically able to commute to various areas of shipyard. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to dust, welding/burning fumes, and smoke. The noise level can be low to extremely noisy, and may include sirens, horns, crane movement, chipping, and hammering.
- WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Reports to the Supervisor of Repair Estimating, and interfaces with other estimators, production supervisors, subcontractors, vendors, and customers while developing and scoping estimates. Estimators are required to plan and schedule their work to fit within the overall schedule set by the department manager.
- PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Use expertise, experience, and all data available to develop a comprehensive estimate of costs that will provide the Company with all necessary costs and information needed to perform the job.
- Be aware of NASSCO's "Standards and Business Conduct" (Standard Practice No. 38) and abide by the instructions and guidelines set forth in the standard.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Position has a direct impact on NASSCO's ability to win new repair work and the profitability of same.
General Dynamics NASSCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
To learn more about applicant rights under federal law, click here:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the job application process and would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department.
Call (619) 544-8511 or email This contact information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire about the status of applications.